Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2013

Approximating Calories in Recipes

I will try to include nutritional information on each recipe at the end of each post.  I have a desk job and so I sit for 5 days a week.  I exercise 2 or 3 times a week, but otherwise, I am a relatively sedentary person.  When I get home from work I clean up a bit and fix dinner, but after that I am parked on the sofa for the rest of the evening.

Thus my caloric intake is very limited.  I like to use the calculator found here at Scooby's Workshop for a somewhat accurate idea of what my calorie intake should be.  Right now, I am have an approximate basal metabolic rate of 1300 (what minimal calories my body needs just to be a vegetable), a maintenance rate of 1800 (what my body needs to maintain the weight I am), and a cutting rate of 1450 (what I can have if I want to lose .7 pounds per week).

People who eat a lot of pre-packaged foods will have an easier time counting calories that people who cook their own meals.  This is somewhat ironic, given that pre-packaged foods are usually not as nutritious or wholesome as home-made or whole foods.  But a bag of doritos is a bag of doritos is a bag of doritos, whereas a small banana is not a medium banana is not a large banana. 

Compare the calories of a banana (from the USDA website):  1 small banana of 6" to 6-7/8" long is 90 calories, 1 medium banana of 7" to 7-7/8" long is 105 calories, and 1 large banana of 8" to 8-7/8" long is 121 calories.  Consider my banana bread recipe which calls for 3 to 4 bananas.  This throws off the numbers (but somehow evens out in the recipe).

Why the obsession with calories?  Because weight loss/gain/maintenance is about calories in and calories out.  I love to eat and to cook, but I don't think we need to sacrifice our waistlines in the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment